Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Overthinking

Anyone who has read my blogs know that swimming is my toughest discipline.  It scares me to death.  Recently I posted that I was going to try an open water swim class.

A good friend (from another state) reminded me that it would be better to start with a wet suit.  I understand why that was recommended.  Extra buoyancy, a little protection against whatever may be in the water, etc.  But here in NC the water temps are pretty much the same as a pool right now so I am not stressing too much about  that.

My biggest fear is that I can not tread water.  I also cannot back stroke.  My only swim technique is freestyle.  I also have this problem with sinking.  No matter how hard I try I cannot float.  Back to that wet suit thing again.  Not enough buoyancy.

I am not trying to be negative, just stating the obvious, no treading, no floating, will lead to tired arms.  Also and probably just as important, I have never even attempted to swim anything over 50. Meaning I always have been in a pool and had the luxury of walls to rest or stop at.

I know that I have to take the plunge and just do it.  I have to go to a class and be confident that someone will save me if I start to drown from stupidity or over exertion.

Signed,

Overthinking

3 comments:

  1. Here are a couple ideas to think about

    - buy a pull bouy, it will keep you hips up and give you that wetsuit feel with your hips

    Or

    - buy one of those float noodles, poke a hole through, tie a piece of rope through it and keep enough slack to tie it around you waist. Then when you will swim and pull the noodle behind you, if you get tired or want a rest, you pull the noodle to you, hold on and rest.

    Niether idea is legal during a race, but they can help with you training

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are a couple ideas to think about

    - buy a pull bouy, it will keep you hips up and give you that wetsuit feel with your hips

    Or

    - buy one of those float noodles, poke a hole through, tie a piece of rope through it and keep enough slack to tie it around you waist. Then when you will swim and pull the noodle behind you, if you get tired or want a rest, you pull the noodle to you, hold on and rest.

    Niether idea is legal during a race, but they can help with you training

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO! You have too much muscle, get Phat! Brothas aren't fond of the open water, must be that slavery ship thang. I got nothing to help other than get those arm floaties..... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete