Monday, March 5, 2012

Week Recap

Happy Monday.

Last week was a recovery week.  I had two really short runs and bad weather/work caused me to miss my cycling workouts.  My mileage for last week was about 20 miles.  That was my shortest week since the cruise. Really bad.

Monday - 1250 yrd swim.  This was good.  Easy warm up, then an 800 yrd swim with short cool down.  Nice easy swim.  Raining at lunch so no ride.  :(
Tuesday - My longest swim to date.  Nice drills.  Really worked my shoulders.  I am thankful that I have been working on my endurance.  500 warm up.  500 Swim, 400, pull, 300 kick, 200 sw, 100 pull.  200 cool down. Nice ladder.  Felt really good.  Still raining so I did 2 miles on the treadmill.  No fun and I never feel good about my pace on the treadmill.
Wednesday - Forced Recovery day.  Unfortunately it rained again at lunch, so I wasn't able to get out to ride again.  Totally unhappy about losing the day.
Thursday - Speed swim day.  Yeah I still can't believe I am putting speed and swim in the same sentence.  500 warm up, 16 X 50, 200 swim, cool down.
Also had a speed run.  This was pretty interesting.  It was a track workout.  I enjoyed being on the track because I felt like I could control my speed pretty well.  My run consisted of 1 mile warm up, 1 mile fast, 800 recovery and repeat the fast and recovery x 4.  My goal was to run the fast miles at a 6:51 pace.  While that didn't quite happen, I think I was really close.  So all in all I was happy with the effort.  The bad part with this was after the run, I had serious calf tightness.  Iced and elevated all afternoon.
Friday - Quick 2 mile run at the office.  Nothing to really talk about other than it was slow.  No calf issues.  Was also supposed to ride, but thanks to rain no riding.
Saturday - More rain.  Went to the pool and swam 1000 yrd.  Really easy swim.  Felt sluggish however but still was able to get it done.  I set up my bike on the trainer and couldn't get it right.  No matter what I did, the tension was never right.  After a frustrating hour, I gave up.
Sunday - Nice 12 mile run.  Ran without my compression sleeve.  I forgot to put it on (stupid).  I also forgot any type of nutrition.  No GU, no snack before I ran.  A completely stupid run.  Fortunately I was able to muscle through the run without injury or bonking.   Spent the rest of the day with more ice, compression and elevation of leg.

All in all the week was light.  This week will be a little heavier.  It's Monday and I already have to push today's ride.  Will swim today at lunch.  

I have my first tri of the season on Saturday.  I am excited but downplaying my expectations.  I am not going to push too hard on the run. I do not want to hurt my leg doing the 2 mile run.  This will also be a test of my swimming skills.  My plan is to swim the entire distance.  I know too say that I am going to swim the entire 250 yards isn't saying much.  Especially since I have swam that distance every week since Dec.   The only difference is obviously competition.  Knowing that I will go all out and totally forget all that I have learned.  I am going to try really hard to rein myself in and swim easy.  We will let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment